I abandoned my blog in a post-Worlds fugue and, in the meantime, Fantasy Flight Games announced everything I ever wanted. They even laid the groundwork for prequel factions.
So in the interest of catching up, I’m going to do a speed round here. If Christgau can nail Sgt. Peppers in two sentences, I can knock out the second edition of this game with bullet points.
Here’s my review of everything Star Wars-related I’ve been mulling over for the past three months, in no particular order:
- X-Wing 2.0: Awesome, necessary
- Force tokens: Neat
- Calculate action: Delightful
- The Last Jedi: Misunderstood
- Moralo Eval flying off the board: Hilarious
- New Firespray: Perfect
- New Defenders: Overhyped
- Four-dice YT-2400 primary: Gross
- Luke crew: Perplexed why it exists
- Heir to the Empire: Not bad
- New docking rules: Being slept on
- Miranda 2.0: Still the best regen?
- Generics: Back in a big way
- Three-dice primary Moldy Crow: The best
- Dark Force Rising: Don’t remember what happens in this one
- Solo Falcon: Exciting!
- Solo itself: Boring!
- New Rebel Fenn Rau: Still annoying
- New Scum Fenn Rau: Still amazing
- Howlrunner: Works on herself!
- Six-TIE swarm: Tired
- Seven-TIE swarm: Wired
- Calling five ships a “swarm”: Expired
- Revenge of the Sith: Underrated
- Two Tubes bros: Two tubes way up
- Alpha-Class Star Wing: Sleeping giant in second edition?
- Lambda-class shuttle: Elegant and iconic
- TIE Reaper: Ugly usurper not worthy to transport the Emperor!!
- Scarif Base Pilot: Properly rated
- “Vizier”: Underrated
- Captain Feroph: Underrated
- Major Vermeil: Overrated
- Reylo: Canon
- Dice mods: Will be missed
- New TIE Phantom: Balanced but boring
- The Last Command: Satisfying
- Cavern Angel Zealot: New favorite pilot
- New Leebo: Better than Dash
- Guri at initiative five: Justice
- Talonbane at initiative five: Crap
- Ketsu: Will finally rival Asajj in 2.0 (pending reveal)
- Kanan: Will once again be great in 2.0 (pending reveal)
- New Lando rebel pilot card: Finally worthy of the character
- Podracing in Destiny: The best FFG Star Wars product ever
- Lowhhrick: Still evil
OK, that should get us more or less caught up. I’ll have more X-Wing posts in the lead-up to Second Edition which will cover all the above points with which you disagree. In the meantime, I’ll be playing Destiny. Podracing!